Saturday 29 November 2008

My day as a movie star!

My day yesterday ended up making me feel somewhat of a movie star! It started with a nice early 8 o'clock start (a time I had started to beleive was mythological) and I headed down to the university with my house mates to do some filming in the green-screen rooms. All I had to do was take a drink and act poisoned and die... a simple task for anybody with a simple acting bone in their body, a feature that I'm sure God left out when he drew up my blueprints.

The whole experience made me feel like I was in Star Wars, you know... the bad ones. I wasn't complaining! The interesting thing about it was the use of lighting to create certain moods. The shot we were doing was intended to have a film noir feels and so a heavy spot light was used to create heavy drop-shadow.



Soon after I had finished filming with my friends I headed on to the photography studios in order to both take pictures of my maquettes and to get some reference pictures of myself so that I could create myself in 3Ds max. The lighting rigs were surprising: a large amount of lights were used in order that there was no particular shadow and create a flat lighting. All of the flash lights were attached to the actual camera.




Once a few of us had enjoyed the photoshoot (a little too much), a seperate lighting rig was set up so that I could take pictures of my models. These were set up so that we could have a directional light. The guy helping me out explained that often people have the preconception that you can just take a picture and it will turn out the same as you see it at the time. However, he went on to explain that the directional light simply helps to pick up surface details and create shadow, it is the flash that creats the exposure needed to get a successful picture.





It was a very exciting morning and it actually left me quite exausted! I think I may go and book the photographic studios again at some point so that I can take some more pictures for reference such as poses and maybe some more of my models could be presented better this way.

No comments: