Friday 16 November 2007

Simple Games = Innovative Ideas?


After being in a terrible mood one night I managed to persuade my flat mate that I would feel much better after a go on his PS3! After an hour or so of playing random demos and replaying Skate several times, I discovered "Flow". I had read about this game but never really thought of playing it as it looked "too simplistic". After playing it for a short while I was addicted!

The basic idea of the game is that you are a small creature that eats others smaller than yourself avoiding getting eaten by the bigger creatures. The more you eat, the larger you become, gaining more fins and a longer tail. It is controlled by the six axis which means there is very little need to press any buttons.

The reason this game stood out to me so much was that it was a game without any explanation besides a start up screen which said something along the lines of "go with the flow". I then discovered how it worked as I went along and it felt like I was exploring instead of simply completing tasks. The satisfaction of being able to defeat creatures that you had previously been hunted by is immense. I found myself saying things like "now... the hunter.. becomes the hunted!!!!". Cheesy, but fun none the less!

My personal opinion is that this game is a brilliant example of simplicity being able to deliver an experience that a larger, more complicated game, would not be able to produce. Games like pacman and tetris are other examples of this. These games need no explanation, yet they have gained classic status.

No comments: