Friday 28 March 2008

Week 23- Whatever the hell I feel like...



Well seeing as we havent been set a task for this week I want to talk a little about Portal. I completed it today having got it yesterday and in no way is that dissapointing. Although short, it was packed with ideas and playful discovery but it also had an eerie feeling about it. It was one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played and I feel like I had both a challenge and an original experience in the few hours that were there.

So do I feel short changed? No! The Orange Box cost me £20, i got 6 (?) games. I had a great time playing portal and it only actually cost me about £3.50. Genius.

I find now as an adult that I want that kind of experience from the games I play. I want to play around with a mechanic for a few hours, feel like I am in an interesting or exciting situation and then be able to leave without any feeling of guilt.

For a few years now, Nintendo have been making games like this and I used to find it frustrating. While I was young and had a lot of free time it was great to play lengthy games with intricate storylines. But now I want a different experience that I can just jump in and out of to have a bit of fun. Games should not be a way of life in the same way that eating lots of fatty pies should not be a way of life. I think you should have a delicious treat every now and again and then get out and see the world before you start sweating gravy. Portal was that delicious pie.... or slice.. of cake

(note to self... metaphors aren't cool)

1 comment:

Del said...

i agree. games shouldn't be a life path.
i liked the metaphor too!