Tuesday 27 January 2009

Figuring things out...



Our group project is going well so far. We have a concept in place and we are now making assets to block out the level so we can compose it however we want. However, in the process, we needed to do a few experiments in order to figure out how to do things. One of those things was: How do ceilings collapse? To solve this problem, one of my team mates went to a building site to see what makes up a ceiling. He discovered that it was made up of several layers of plaster, brick and concrete set in a metal mesh. He then gave me those instructions and I created a 3d visualisation so that we could figure out how to make it in game.

The actual metal mesh can be done using alpha channels and also the plaster can. I think that the finl product will also be more distorted and have much more concrete hanging off of it. However, this has been a tremendous help in figuring out what to do. I have learnt first hand that making a test subject is vital when working in unknown territory.

I have also put together a few tests for the rubble. A very productive day indeed!

No comments: