Tuesday 23 October 2007

Hello Halo!!

Fiiiiinally got a chance to play Halo 3 today for the first time properly. To be honest... not sure what to think. What is all the hype about? Sure, it's great! Yea, it's pretty!! But "the perfect game"? Umm.. no. I think theres a bit too much hype obiting it's giant ego for everyone to notice the problems with it.

I played through the first chapter of the campain and then went on to play A LOT of multiplayer (what I was looking forward to the most!).

For someone like me, who was looking for an expansion on the fantastic Halo 2 multiplayer, it ticks all the boxes. New maps, weapons and vehicles! However nothing really innovative or new is offered. I expect that I will have many hours with friends having a laugh just like with Halo 2: but that is the problem. It is just another Halo and besides the outstanding multiplayer there is very little to see that is exciting or inspirational.

As for the multiplayer: many changes have occured to the weapons that already existed in previous editions, obviously for "balancing" issues. For example, the rocket launcher no longer has a "lock on" feature and this is instead assigned to some kind of anti-aircraft gun. One word... WHY!!! There is a great deal of satisfation gained from swerving a rocket into a warthog full of your friends whilst they excitedly head back to their base with your team's flag. Now, all you can do is plod along; carrying what appears to be an entire tank on your arm hoping to come across a stray. Although this can be fun, it's just not the same! Also the brute shot does not bounce around corners anymore! But don't get me started on that!

As harsh as I am being, I do love the new multiplayer. All these changes surprisingly seem to work when applied with all thats new to offer, including some of my favourites: radar jammers, gravity hammers, improved invisibility and the oppertunity to drive an entire base! Very cool.

I hate to admit it. It's going to take some getting used to... but I like it. Alot. If it were a new, fresh game, then I would adore it. I think I may just be clinging on to the nostalgia of many gaming nights on Halo 2, eating pizza way too quickly so we could all start the next game. Looks like Halo 3 is just going to mean more pizza, and a bit of learning.

No comments: