Monday 22 October 2007

Week 1- the world of blogging

After now starting my blog I've been trying to get a bit of insight into how other people do it and what they enjoy writing about (or indeed what people enjoy reading about). Whilst randomly searching "blog" on google hoping to find a glimpse of insight, I came across Stephen Fry's blog and thought to myself "he's clever... he must know something i should know!!".

I then started reading one of his entries titled "I Give Up". It immediately occured to me that this man really loves to ramble; scrolling down the page I found a good 15 minutes of reading! Instantly his style is obvious; intelligent, witty and with a dose of silliness. His extremely well developed vocabulary is part of the fun of reading his blog; seeing words such as "admixture" and "hedonistic degradation". However, whilst reading this I started to wonder how many people read this and why?

His blog doesn't seem say anything new about the world or indeed anything original: the purpose of the majority of the text seems to be just so that others can have an insight to a celebrity's life. In spite of this, it is actually very well written. Fry uses quotes from popular culture to illustrate his point with phrases from Macbeth to Basil Faulty.

I think when writing my blog I wish to do something similar but with a different subject material and alot less content. I want to be able to express what I am interested in and show a little of who I am, as much for me, as for my audience. Almost like a kind of "self discovery". I do want to do it in a quicker "snappier" fashion than Fry therefore making it alot more of a pleasure to read. At the moment I am not confident or fluent in writing a blog, but with time I hope to be able to have something that people like myself can enjoy.

No comments: