Wednesday 14 January 2009

A rather good day



I've had a pretty good day. Today I had the chance to go out for a meal with my course mates and we all managed to just discuss the way we are working and how we could each improve in terms of techniques and helping each other. It was surprising how much it helped just chatting to everyone and deciding how we were all going to solve certain problems. A few of us are going to try and submit some work in order to go to the open day at Blitz Games. I have decided to try to rig up my self portrait so that I can use that for my submission.

Rigging is a real nightmare to me... i really cannot stand it... I simply want my character to stand in a relaxed position and I come across all kinds of problems. None the less I want to learn how to do it properly without things messing up. For now I have half succeeded at making it look relaxed and will just tweak some verts so that it doesn't look incorrect.

Like many other people on my course today I really want to do well. I think I may enter the next dominance war competition in order to improve my skills and get some feedback on the way I work and the techniques that I am using.

A conversation with my friend Dan today also helped me sort my head out a bit. I keep feeling down and stressed out because I can see where I want to be and I can't think of anyway of reaching it. Dan has a really good approach and said to me that I should work on the little skills bit by bit. I am never going to reach that standard that I aspire to without first learning how to. Basically I need to improve my skills purposefully in all areas and try to apply them into the field I eventually want to end up in, but I also need to realise that it is a gradual process.

I am constantly impressed by the ability of so many people on my course and I have realised that many of them simply try things over and over again. That is something that I need to adopt myself. Trying little excercises in a short period of time will help me to get better.

2 comments:

David said...

Simon, good work on the art. However, if you don't mind me saying so... you're quite clearly not that ripped.

;)

Si said...

ill have you know that these are from direct reference!! i have put on weight! lol

Thanks anyway lol :)